DepEd Appeals Against DBM’s 2023 Budget CutsAugust 5, 2022
The Department of Education (DepEd) said Thursday it will ask the Department of Budget Management (DBM) to waive its proposed P848 billion budget for 2023.
DepEd spokesperson Michael Poa said the department led by Vice President Sara Duterte needs its proposed budget in full to oversee the safe return of students to their classrooms in person after two years of online learning due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We stand firm in our budget proposal because we need it. Therefore, we will present our arguments to the Congress when the time comes,” said Poa.
“But we are also appealing to the DBM to allow us to have the entire P848 billion,” he added during a joint press conference held by DepEd and OVP.
Poa said that on top of the P848 billion, DepEd also requested another R16 billion to bank for the repair and construction of classrooms. In the classrooms damaged by the recent earthquake, another P2.1 billion is needed for repairs, he said.
DepEd said at least 427 schools sustained damage due to the magnitude 7 earthquake that hit Northern Luzon last week. Classes in the earthquake-affected areas will continue on August 22, and DepEd plans to look into providing temporary study facilities, Poa added.
DepEd’s proposed P848 billion budget was P217 billion more than its P631.77 billion budget for 2022.
The Ministry of Education is also planning to hire other non-teaching staff so that teachers can focus on teaching instead of doing administrative work.