Fernandez leads players whose value went boom after World Cup 2022January 11, 2023
Enzo Fernandez, best young player in the 2022 World Cup, has recently been rumoured to be moving from Benfica, after just half a season with the Portuguese giants.
ALSO READ: Poor form puts Chelsea’s faith in Potter to the test
According to media reports, the Argentinian’s potential fee will be around €120 million, over two times his current market valuation, and nearly nine times what Benfica paid for him just a few months ago.
This prompted SportingPedia to look at the players who increased their pre-World Cup market valuations the most. We originally intended to compile a top 10, but it turns out there are 12 players whose pre-2022 World Cup market prices have increased by double digits.
- Only two players managed to add €20 million to their market value after the 2022 World Cup
- Just twelve saw their value increase by double digits
- After the latest market value update, England has become the first national team with three players whose values are estimated at €100 million or more
- World Cup winner Argentina is the sole country to boast three representatives on our list
- Out of all the 12 players who added €10 million or more to their estimated value, there are 2 defenders, 7 midfielders, and 3 forwards. There is no goalkeeper on the list, however.
- Moroccan Azzedine Ounahi has gained 329 per cent on top of his pre-World Cup value, topping all 830 players in Qatar.