These delicious Greek chicken meatballs with hummus is the perfect summer recipe. You can serve it with fresh pita bread and your favourite side salad.
If you have chicken meatballs leftover, they will make great sarmies for lunch the next day.
Greek chicken meatballs with hummus
- 600g ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 red onion, grated or minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint or parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley or mint
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt
Hummus and Israeli Salad
- 1 large family-sized container (around 16 ounces) hummus
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Kosher salt
ALSO SEE: Recipe of the day: Quick aromatic mango chicken salad
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine all ingredients gently in a medium mixing bowl. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop meatballs into a ball shape and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Cook using one of the methods below and then serve meatballs on top of hummus and Israeli salad sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley:
- Pan Fry + Bake: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Pan fry the meatballs until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer back to the parchment lined cookie sheet. Finish cooking meatballs in the oven until they reach an internal temperature of 74°C using a meat thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Bake: Place the meatballs in the oven and bake until they reach an internal temperature of 74°C using a meat thermometer, about 20 minutes.
Hummus and Israeli salad
Combine cucumber, tomato, olive oil, lemon juice and parsley in a small mixing bowl. Season with Kosher salt. Let sit at room temperature for flavours to meld for at least 10 minutes, then serve atop hummus.
*This recipe was found on www.sharedappetite.com.